MSIE download troubles

Mansoor Peerbhoy mansoor at zimbra.com
Mon Jul 21 19:36:00 MSD 2008

Hi

I cannot be sure, but I remember, a long time ago, having to use the BrowserMatch force-no-vary hack for MSIE.
The error that you are getting from MSIE was exactly the one I used to see.

Google around for "force-no-vary" and see if the first post makes any sense to you

It appeared that MSIE choked when the "Vary" header was sent in the HTTP response.
Of course, I may be completely off track here, but can you check the following:

Sniff the HTTP packets between your browser and NGINX. See if you are getting the "Vary" response being sent back to you from NGINX.
Grepping through an older version of nginx (0.5.30), I can see that NGINX doesn't do anything special with the Vary header. So possibly, your app server needs to be told not to send back the vary header for MSIE browsers

Again, I may be completely off-track, but is your app server Apache ? If I remember aright, using mod_rewrite caused the Vary header to be sent back in some cases, and that choked IE

Hope this helps

Regards
Mansoor