rewrite rule

Igor Clark igor at pokelondon.com
Mon Jul 21 20:47:52 MSD 2008

Hi Maxim,

On 20 Jul 2008, at 20:58, Maxim Dounin wrote:

> And, BTW, I think you should use named locations instead.  Just
> write something like:
>
>    location / {
>        error_page 404  = @fallback;
>    }
>    location @fallback {
>        proxy_pass ...;
>    }
>
> You don't actually need all this rewrite stuff. :)

I've tried several times to use named locations in exactly this
fashion with PHP/FastCGI backends, but experienced show-stopping
problems using POST. POSTing data through these locations just
wouldn't work properly, either throwing 405 errors or, after applying
some configuration changes (static post), simply hanging.

I posted to the list a couple of times but didn't get any response -
the most recent was "Posting to FastCGI in named locations" on 15 May (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.nginx.english/5036
). It's frustrating because I can see how much better the named
locations are but have been unable to use them because of this problem.

Do you have any idea what might be the cause?

Many thanks,
Igor

--
Igor Clark • POKE • 10 Redchurch Street • E2 7DD • +44 (0)20 7749 5355
• www.pokelondon.com