Logging inconsistencies during apparent DoS

Istvan Szukacs leccine at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 16:32:44 MSD 2008

Hi!

In every modern operating system including: linux*, *bsd, a couple of
other unix-like systems there is syn cookie to avoid the situation when
somebody flood your server with only SYN packets starting  thousands of
webserver process

http://cr.yp.to/syncookies.html

on linux:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies

on freebsd

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.syncookies=1

I dont know that much MacOS but I guess you have but try to search
something like this with sysctl -a | grep syn and probably there is the
same sysctl.

Regards,
Istvan