nginx and self-healing S3 static hosting

Ian M. Evans ianevans at digitalhit.com
Wed Jul 30 04:28:23 MSD 2008

> your s3 bucket.   dnsmadeeasy (or similar) monitors your s3 bucket,
> and switches DNS to your backup if it goes down.  Your app only ever

Someone else mentioned dnsmadeeasy and I contacted their tech people.
They said:

"The manner in which S3 is implemented makes it difficult to monitor
using our toolset."

There was one DNS company (http://dynect.com/) that mentioned having an
API for allowing remote changes. So I guess the cron method from the
non-static server could work. If it can't reach your S3 bucket, it could
run a script to change the DNS to your backup choice.

As Dave Winer pointed out, there's some cash to be made for the
companies who step up to find a way to help spooked S3 users...or
potential users like me.