500 error on multipart POST, no error log

Jonathan Vanasco nginx at 2xlp.com
Wed Jul 30 22:03:25 MSD 2008

I'm cc-ing nginx list, I hope you do not mind...

On Jul 31, 2008, at 9:33 AM, Aníbal Rojas wrote:

> Remove the
>
> error_log   /var/log/nginx/SITE/dev.SITE.com-error.log ;
>
> And check if the error hits the default log.
>
> Also check if  /var/log/nginx/SITE/dev.SITE.com-error.log
> has the proper permissions.

default log had proper permissions... even tried giving it 777... no
luck

however removing the error log line... and it works.

very odd -- usually nginx fails a -t test if there are any issues
like that

i can't figure out why this would happen too...

for this url / POST only...
	if the error log line is there, i get a 500 error
	if the error log line is not there, the page works fine but not
error message is logged anywhere

then I tried
    error_log   /var/log/nginx/SITE/dev.SITE.com-error.log debug ;

and it worked, and it logged to file

then i took out
    error_log   /var/log/nginx/SITE/dev.SITE.com-error.log  ;

and it worked, but it didn't log to file ...

at the least, it seems like the default error log level has been lost...

i can't understand why/how it was causing the 500 error