mod_rails aka mod_rack aka mod_ruby

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Fri Jun 6 00:34:01 MSD 2008

Grzegorz Nosek ha scritto:
> [...]
>
> AIUI, mod_wsgi isn't a universal module but is mostly useful for
> embedding rather simple Python code into nginx.

Right, but of course we must agree on what "simple" means.

> I remember asking Manlio some time ago about it and he said (more or
> less) that embedding e.g. Django via mod_wsgi would be pretty insane,
> so I think it would hold twice as true for e.g. Rails.

Yes, usually it is insane, for several reasons.
Django (like Ruby on Rails, and other very high level framework) have
the "problem" on hide low level details.

This is fine, but this also means that you can write code that it is
easy to write but completely inefficient.

> Of course, I'd like to be proven wrong and hopefully Manlio will step in
> to correct me. :)

Unfortunately this question does not have an easy answer.
You should really make good tests.

Fortunately know we have many good implementations of WSGI so that we
can test an application in several environments:
Apache mod_wsgi, Nginx mod_wsgi, and so.

> Best regards,
>  Grzegorz Nosek

Manlio