Dual load balancer (one failsafe)?

mike mike503 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 23:20:49 MSD 2008

Yeah - I use LVS right now with ldirectord to do healthchecking.

I used to run it using heartbeat (v1 I believe) but right now I am not
even running it in active/passive mode.

I believe FreeBSD also has it's equivalents (VRRP?) and the Wordpress
guys just mentioned another product which probably can replace the
need for heartbeat called Wackamole
(http://www.backhand.org/wackamole/)

As long as you keep your nginx configs synced up and make sure to
reload them after changes, the only thing you should need is something
to manage taking over the IPs for you; and I believe Wackamole might
be a good solution for that. LVS won't help you with IP management
without adding in heartbeat, it is simply a layer 4 load balancing
solution.

I would look at doing 2 nginx installs, a small custom script to keep
the configs in sync, and Wackamole to manage the IP switching. In
theory Wackamole sounds like it can handle a ton of machines so you
could have multiple - not just a single active/passive pair...