one directory with 500 000 files (5-8mb each)

Jonathan Dance jd at wuputah.com
Sat Jun 21 20:48:16 MSD 2008

In my experience, ext3 does not handle 500,000 files in one directory very
well. This is not nginx but instead a limitation of the filesystem. I am not
sure if there is a filesystem you could use which handles this problem well.
Regardless, I would recommend you break up the files into subdirectories.
You can segment files by filename or, if the files are number-based,
numerically. For instance, say you had stock symbols:
aapl.html
csco.html
etc...

Put each in a directory based on its first letter then second letter, e.g.:

/a/a/aapl.html
/c/s/csco.html

JD / wuputah