one directory with 500 000 files (5-8mb each)

Michael nginx at thismetalsky.org
Sun Jun 22 04:07:07 MSD 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 22:06:52, Ss Ss said...

> > In my experience, ext3 does not handle 500,000 files in one directory
> > very well.
>
> What about raiser? does it handle 500,000 files in one directory well?

I'm sure one of the filesystems will do this better than others, but to me,
this sounds like a poor application design rather than a filesystem limitation.

No matter which filesystem you use, with that many directory entries, it's
going to be slow.  I'd split them up.  I've done the method using the first
character of the filename, it works very well.

--
Michael Stella  |  IT Systems Architect
PGP: 1024D/BC3FF6D4 2BC2 A79B 88D1 218A B32B  ED7A 2EC2 1206 BC3F F6D4