one directory with 500 000 files (5-8mb each)

Dan M strangepics at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 06:16:28 MSD 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Rob Mueller <robm at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> As you can see, I'm a big reiserfs defender, it's worked really well for us,
> and most people who think it sucks usually have one of the following
> problems.

The biggest issues that I know of when running ReiserFS are 1 -
misdesigned fsck - it's architected as such if it comes to having to
run  the fsck on Reiser for crash recovery the odds are you will end
up with garbage instead of restored files. Theodore Ts'o has a nice
write-up about that issue. I myself have had files produced by Reiser
fsck that contained garbage in them. Reiser fsck looks for what looks
like the bits of the B-tree on the FS, and discards the bits that it
doesn't think belong to it.

2 - Its reliablity for e-mail systems is AFAIK uncertain. e-mail
systems must be run on filesystems that guarantee atomicity of
metadata updates. BSD's UFS guarantees atomic metadata updates. EXT3
mounted in journal=ordered mode guarantees atomic metadata updates. If
Reiser doesn't - then you are likely to lose email during a powerfail
or crash, also see above.

3 - ReiserFS's fufture is uncertain due to Hans' troubles.

Otherwise, I think it's a great FS once you know what the weaknesses
are and use it with them in mind.

--
Dan