AJP Support

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 20:56:43 MSD 2008

Hi,

>> OK.  I guess I could just have nginx balance the http traffic and have
>> use tomcat's http server rather than passing through ajp13 traffic.
>
> Just a curiosity: do you think this (nginx to tomcat via http) would be
> faster than using apache 2.2 with mod_proxy_ajp?

I don't know.  I do know from my experiences with nginx that
throughput on some of my other sites has been much greater, with fewer
resources being needed.

I also know that my current setup isn't performing as well as I like.

I've heard very good reports about how quickly Tomcat can serve http
generated.  So it seems to me that nginx is the fastest and most
resource effective way of balancing http traffic over my pool of
tomcat servers.

I'm making some fairly big assumptions around how sessions are
handled, but I've not seen problems with rails, so I'd expect the same
experience with Java.

> I'm not sure, but there's probably a reason for using AJP instead of
> http there ;-)

Hehe, in my case, when I took over the site it used Apacke and mod_jk.
 I've upgraded  the systems and we have carried on with the
apache/ajp/tomcat approach.  I'm looking at alternatives now.

> If nginx with http would be better/faster, that would be very
> interesting indeed.

It would indeed,  I will, of course, do some benchmarks and tests
first, and report back.

S.