Is it possible to monitor the fair proxy balancer?

Grzegorz Nosek grzegorz.nosek at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 15:51:02 MSD 2008

Hi,

On sob, cze 28, 2008 at 02:23:02 +0200, Robbie Allen wrote:
> Periodically one or more of my mongrel instances will stop getting
> requests from nginx (via upstream fair).  The mongrel process is still
> running, but not getting any requests.

The standard question: are you running the latest snapshot? (there was
an update about a week ago). If not, please give it a try.

I guess I should start versioning the module ;)

> How can I verify if nginx has taken it out of service?  Is it possible
> to get details on the current status of the fair proxy?

No, not really. This is something I'd like to do but currently there's
no support for pluggable status reports and I think that writing what
would effectively become another module for monitoring upstream_fair is
slightly overkill.

--with-debug and debug_http may help but you'd probably drown in the
massive amount of logs (not only from upstream_fair, nginx itself is
very chatty too).

> I also see the following error in syslog, but I'm unsure if it is
> related....
>
> nginx[17280]: segfault at 00007fffa0869fd0 rip 00002ac509ea61e3 rsp
> 00007fffa0869ed0 error 6

That one looks strange. It's a segfault while accessing the stack
*above* the stack pointer, which should be legal, unless something has
just allocated at least 304 bytes of stack space and overflowed it.

I can't see any large stack allocations in upstream_fair (though I may
have overlooked something), so it may come from nginx itself as well.

Please try increasing the stack size (ulimit -s <something> in your
nginx startup script).

If such a segfault repeats (or if you haven't restarted nginx since
then; reloads are fine), please collect:
 - result of pmap pid-of-any-nginx-worker (they should have the same
   memory map), alternatively cat /proc/<pid>/maps
 - the log line with the faulting address, rip and rsp (like above)
 - your nginx binary

The above information should prove helpful while tracing the cause of
the crash.

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek