Problems with fastcgi php migration

Ian M. Evans ianevans at digitalhit.com
Tue Mar 11 23:56:24 MSK 2008

Igor Sysoev wrote:
> nginx does set any content-type for proxied and fastcgi responses.
> It should be set by backend.

Then maybe it's not that.

Can you think of any other reason why browsers would be trying to
download the extensionless files as opposed to seeing them as web pages?
As I said last night, the setting you suggested for the extensionless
files produced these results:

 > location ~ ^/(galleries|poll|news)/ {

In IE7:
calling /galleries/ causes a 404
calling /galleries runs the script as expected

In Firefox:
calling /galleries/ causes a 404
calling /galleries gives a "Open with.../Save to disk" octet stream
dialogue.

There has to be one final tweak that we're missing. We've been running
the extensionless PHP file method for almost a decade under Apache, so
we must be missing one last thing that's preventing us from ditching the
Apache backend and going 100% nginx.