Problems with fastcgi php migration

Ian M. Evans ianevans at digitalhit.com
Thu Mar 13 15:00:43 MSK 2008

Igor Sysoev wrote:
>> if ($uri ~ ^(/[^/]+)(/.*)) {
>> set  $script_name  $1;
>> set  $path_info    $2;
>
>   fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:10004;
>
>> }

Not sure if you saw my next email after this one you responded too. It's
99% working right now...but that's for later.

The fastcgi_pass you added is unncessary as it's already there at the
bottom of the location. (see below)

To confirm that I just did the following.

I turned cgi.fix-pathinfo=0 and added the fastcgi_pass to the if block
as you placed above. Restarted nginx and fastcgi servers.

Received 404s.

Reset it to what I had late last night:
cgi.fix-pathinfo=1

The following location, with cgi.fix-pathinfo=1, is 99% working:

location ~ ^/(testgalleries|galleries|poll|news|photos)(/|$) {
root /usr/local/apache/htdocs;
set  $script_name  $uri;
set  $path_info    "";
if ($uri ~ ^(/[^/]+)(/.*)) {
set  $script_name  $1;
set  $path_info    $2;
}
fastcgi_param  GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_SOFTWARE    nginx;
fastcgi_param  QUERY_STRING       $query_string;
fastcgi_param  REQUEST_METHOD     $request_method;
fastcgi_param  CONTENT_TYPE       $content_type;
fastcgi_param  CONTENT_LENGTH     $content_length;
fastcgi_param  PATH_TRANSLATED    $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
fastcgi_param  REQUEST_URI        $request_uri;
fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_URI       $document_uri;
fastcgi_param  DOCUMENT_ROOT      $document_root;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_PROTOCOL    $server_protocol;
fastcgi_param  REMOTE_ADDR        $remote_addr;
fastcgi_param  REMOTE_PORT        $remote_port;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_ADDR        $server_addr;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_PORT        $server_port;
fastcgi_param  SERVER_NAME        $server_name;
fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME  $document_root$script_name;
fastcgi_param  PATH_INFO        $path_info;
#fastcgi_param  REDIRECT_STATUS    200;
fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:10004;
}

So 99% success. The final, final hurdle as I mentioned in my 9:14PM
Eastern email is that the location regex works only if the extensionless
file is in the root, i.e. example.com/galleries

location ~ ^/(testgalleries|galleries|poll|news|photos)(/|$) {

However, the file photos can appear anywhere like:
example.com/academy/80/photos
example.com/fest/tiff/2008/1/photos

So the regex just needs one final tweak to allow it to find an
extensionless file no matter if it's in root or any number of
subdirectories deep. I read several regex tutorials last night but my
brain goes on vacation with regex.

So we're 99.9999% there. Thanks again.