Multiple ssl certs for the same IP?

Rt Ibmer rtibmx at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 05:26:14 MSD 2008

On a related note, I'm going to create a self-signed key so I can test https support with nginx and my deployment.  I read somewhere that care should be taken when deciding to assign a passphrase, because some applications may require you to enter the passphrase upon initialization.  Would that be the case with nginx?

Also I'm a bit confused about the key gen process (having never done this before under Linux). I've found the various openssl commands to generate the key, but its unclear as to which openssl command generates the file that should be used for ssl_certificate, and which command should be used to generate the file for ssl_certificate_key.

For instance I found this for generating a self-signed key for testing:

   openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -out server.crt -keyout server.key

That looks easy enough.  The server.crt goes to the ssl_certificate and server.key goes to ssl_certificate_key.

But it gets a bit confusing when I look 's instructions for creating keys to be signed by a real certificate authority. This is what I've pieced together:

  openssl genrsa -out /whatever/domain-name.com.key 1024
  openssl req -new -key /whatever/domain-name.com.key -out /whatever/domain-name.com.key.csr

So in that case I would use domain-name.com.key.csr for the ssl_certificate, and I'd use the file I get back from the certificate authority as the value for ssl_certificate_key?  Do I have this right? Thanks!

Be a better friend, newshound, and