gzip compression not working

Christian Billen cbillen at warmlyyours.com
Wed May 21 09:24:39 MSD 2008

Hello,
I have a fresh new installation of nginx on ubuntu 8.04 (installed via
apt-get, I believe it is 0.5.x something)

In my nginx.conf file I have gzip turned on, now I wanted to do a basic test
and serving a static html file, but the file does not come compressed at
all.

Here's the snippet of configuration, I tried variations on this without
success

 gzip  on;
    gzip_min_length  1100;
    gzip_buffers     4 8k;
    gzip_proxied     any;
    gzip_types       text/plain text/html text/css application/x-javascript
text/xml application/xml application/xml+rss text/javascript;
    gzip_http_version 1.1;
    gzip_comp_level 6;

Does anyone have any idea why nothing is compressed?

I've used this http://www.gidnetwork.com/tools/gzip-test.php and others to
test the results.

Thank you so much!