failover / fault-tolerant configurations

alex clemesha clemesha at gmail.com
Thu May 22 00:41:35 MSD 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 1:25 PM, J Davis <mrsalty0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have multiple machines running identically configured instances of
> nginx, then you can configure the IP failover using something like wackamole
> or heartbeat.
> You won't need anything special for the nginx configuration.
Ok, thanks.  I've glanced at both wackamole and heartbeat before, but
I will now give them a closer look.

> Session affinity can be enable in nginx using ip_hash directive of the nginx
> upstream module.
> One thing this will not get you is session failover. In other words, if your
> active instance of nginx dies the current information about session affinity
> will also be lost.
I had a feeling this might be the case.  Are there any
specific ways one can minimize / eliminate the loss of the
current session information, or is this not possible with Nginx?

Thanks Jake,

-Alex