Weird difference between nginx and apache...

Dave Cheney dave at cheney.net
Sun Nov 23 05:17:34 MSK 2008

Assuming this is a static file (not proxied from another server), then
nginx will be sending less headers, assuming the default config.

Out of the box apache announces itself with a large "Server: Apache/
httpd mod_this, mod_that, mod_something else", it also send and Etag
header by default, which nginx does not. If Keep-Alive is enabled,
then apache sends a redundant "Keep-Alive: something" header where
nginx stays mute.

What concerns me is the HTML transfered in both cases is not the same,
it should be identical unless,
a. there is a bug in ab
b. your tests didn't return the same number of successful results.
c. nginx or apache chose to use chunked encoding to send such a small
file

Cheers

Dave