499 Connection Responses, FastCGI, APC, nginx

Igor Clark igor at pokelondon.com
Mon Oct 6 21:23:38 MSD 2008

Hi,

On 6 Oct 2008, at 17:56, Clint Priest wrote:

> I'm getting ~50% 499 errors from nginx with $response_time ranging
> from .5s to 32.78s and longer.  It seems related to fastcgi as I
> always get the file immediately if its serving a static .htm file,
> never any delay or 499 codes.
>
> Any idea where I could go with this?  I've been trying things all
> morning with out being able to find anything that fixes the issue.
>
> Some answers that may help me:
>   1) How many simultaneous connections can one php-cgi instance
> support?

Dependent on the number of children. 1 process = 1 connection.

>   2) Does anyone else run APC + FastCGI + nginx without problems?

Yep. No problems at all.

>     2a) Is there any benefit or disadvantage to multiple php-cgi
> instances w/ APC?

Benefit: you can serve more than one request at a time, faster,
because code is cached.
Disadvantage: each instance now uses more memory.

cheers

--
Igor Clark • POKE • 10 Redchurch Street • E2 7DD • +44 (0)20 7749 5355
• www.pokelondon.com