maxconn 1 in nginx

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Thu Oct 9 23:43:26 MSD 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 09:23 -0700, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

> 	Yeah the haproxy behavior is what we really want for proxying to
> rails apps. I'd like nginx to only feed a request to mongrels that are
> not currently processing a request and any other requests will queue
> in nginx in the efficient event loop and only dole out the requests
> once a backend comes available or a timeout is hit.
>
> 	This is the ideal load balancer situation for rails apps. I;ve been
> putting haproxy in between nginx and mongrels to do this but I would
> much rather see the fair balancer support this use case so I have less
> items in the chain .

This isn't really the right forum for this, but this request comes up so
often I may as well ask.  I can't help but think this is something that
should be fixed in Rails.  If people want to throw money at this
problem, wouldn't the Rails devs (or some smart Ruby guy) be the most
productive place to throw it?

I'm not a Rails user (it's lack of support for concurrency being one of
the primary reasons I've never seriously considered it), but it seems
that fixing a Ruby framework (Rails) should be easier than adding
features to a C framework (Nginx).   Is this not the case?

Regards,
Cliff