Nginx VS Nginx + Varnish

Praveen praveen at tigertrail.net
Tue Oct 14 22:15:22 MSD 2008

Serving thumbnails efficiently is not easy. See
http://highscalability.com/youtube-architecture (scroll down to
'Serving thumbnails').

You're spending a good chunk of time doing disk seeks. Even if read
time is 0, average seek time is about 10ms. So you're looking at a
limit of 100 images/sec. This is the ideal case. Add read time + TCP
delays + other delays, you're looking 50-60 images/sec.

Serve off memory, try using memcache.

-praveen