Nginx as a Linux Service

Jim Ohlstein jim.ohlstein at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 15:39:02 MSK 2008

This is getting a bit far afield, but run level 4 is generally not used.

Run level 3 is the default. Run level 2 is the same as 3 except that networking is not running. It's probably irrelevant on a remote machine.

As long as it's set "on" at level 3 it's probably OK.

In RHEL you can also use ntsysv to set any service to start at boot up. It provides a visual list with check boxes. I believe that it defaults to the current run level which is probably 3.

I assume that you are using a remote server. If you have an old machine that you aren't using, installing RHEL or CentOS and adding it to your LAN might be really helpful. Worst that can happen is you screw up everything and re-install the OS wiser from having learned from your mistake.

Jim