Expires .. is there a way to set an expires header for all of jpg, gif, css, js ?

Rob Schultz rschultz7 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 22:37:20 MSD 2008

It should work with underscores, hyphen's etc. as its grabbing all char's
from the .+ that should match all char's that is not a line break.
Also about ignoring root. I set my root in the base of the server config. IE
        server {
                listen          80;
                server_name     domain.org www.domain.org;

                access_log      /var/log/nginx/domain.org.access_log main;
                error_log       /var/log/nginx/domain.org.error_log info;

                root /var/www/domain.org/htdocs;

                location ~ .*\.php$ {
                        fastcgi_pass   127.0.0.1:9000;
                        fastcgi_index   index.php;
                }

                location ~* ^.+\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png)$ {
                        access_log   off;
                        expires      30d;

I try to keep everything at the lowest part that i need it. I use the index
directive in the main http section as most of my sites will use those. And
if i need custom then i will adjust in each of my server sections. Same
thing with my server sections. i do a root in the toplevel of the server
directive so everything works no matter what i do and then IF i need a
location to go somewhere else i put that inside the location. I think this
is easier and solves alot of issues of having to remember to put them in
multiple location's etc etc. Only overwrite it if you need it.