Upload Issues with Nginx Reverse Proxy - Part 2

W. Andrew Loe III andrew at andrewloe.com
Mon Sep 22 06:08:31 MSD 2008

I don't have enough information on what you are trying to do to fully
diagnose your issue, but I do have some notes on uploading with nginx
that may help.

Nginx will fully buffer an upload before passing it to the backend
server, depending on how you look at it this is annoying or very
helpful. As far as I can see, it creates a file in /tmp/ something
like /tmp/upload_0000, starts writing to the file, and then
immediately deletes it. The file still remains open as long as a
process is connected to it (this is a *nix filesystem feature so you
can't delete a file that is in use and crash things?). After its
buffered to disk nginx re-reads it and hurls the whole thing to your
backend. If this isn't what you want (maybe nginx is on the same
server anyways so no point in writing, reading and then writing it
again) you might want to look at the upload module
(http://www.grid.net.ru/nginx/upload.en.html) that lets you instruct
nginx to write the file to a folder and then pass to your backend a
pointer to its location.