using the upstream_hash_module and handling changes when adding new servers

Michael Shadle mike503 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 22:16:42 MSD 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Cliff Wells <cliff at develix.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest looking into one of the clustered filesystems such as GFS or
> Lustre, although that might be more difficult to deploy on an existing
> infrastructure.

those require exported filesystems (iscsi, fake iscsi, SANs, etc) and
can be a pain in the ass to manage.

I tried OCFS2 for a little while as it required the most
straightforward setup and it had its own issues. GFS2 was a horrible
PITA when I tried to set it up as well. There is also glusterfs - it
looks like it's more like Lustre, it's worth it to check out.

NFS can scale to thousands of users traditionally (probably not the
Linux server version, hah) so the OP's farm probably does not have
that large of requirements, if he does, I'd say look at going with
mogilefs or something like that and change the logic in the
application layer. It's essentially just creating a global filesystem
anyway but gives you greater control over devices/how much space is
allocated/etc.