Setting remote addr to contents of header

Paul Dlug paul.dlug at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 02:37:36 MSD 2009

I'm running nginx beyind a L7 proxy (haproxy), I have haproxy setting
the X-Forwarded-For header and I'm using this to log the real IP of
the client and pass it to other processes that I'm proxying with nginx
(mongrels, apache, etc.). This works just great but I would like to be
able to use nginx directives to control access (allow, deny, etc.).
These don't work since nginx itself sees the remote_addr as the IP of
the haproxy server.

Any suggestions? I would think a solution like mod_rpaf for apache
would be ideal.

Thanks,
Paul