Noob looking for PHP help

Momchil Ivanov slogster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 13:45:54 MSD 2009

На Sunday 19 April 2009 18:22:43 AMP Admin написа:
> So is the following what would change?
>
> The default is:
> PHP SAPI module:       cgi
> PHP CGI binary:		/usr/local/bin/
> FPM config:            /usr/local/etc/php-fpm.conf
> init.d script:         /usr/local/sbin/php-fpm
> PHP CLI binary:        /usr/local/bin/
> PHP CLI man page:      /usr/local/man/man1/
> build environment:     /usr/local/lib/php/build/
> header files:          /usr/local/include/php/
> helper programs:       /usr/local/bin/
> PHP 				/usr/local/lib/php/
> PHP.INI			/usr/local/lib/php.ini
>
> If we add --prefix=/usr/local/lib/php-fpm-5.2.9 the new installation will
> look like: PHP SAPI module:       cgi
> PHP CGI binary:		/usr/local/bin/
> FPM config:            /usr/local/etc/php-fpm.conf
> init.d script:         /usr/local/sbin/php-fpm
> PHP CLI binary:        /usr/local/bin/
> PHP CLI man page:      /usr/local/man/man1/
> build environment:     /usr/local/lib/php-fpm-5.2.9/build/
> header files:          /usr/local/include/php/
> helper programs:       /usr/local/bin/
> PHP 				/usr/local/lib/php-fpm-5.2.9/
> PHP.INI			/usr/local/lib/php.ini

You can execute "./configure --help" to see what options are available and
what they do. There is a section concerning paths where different parts of
the program are installed:

Directory and file names:
  --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
                          [/usr/local]
  --exec-prefix=EPREFIX   install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
                          [same as prefix]
  --bindir=DIR            user executables in DIR [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR           system admin executables in DIR [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR        program executables in DIR [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --datadir=DIR           read-only architecture-independent data in DIR
                          [PREFIX/share]
  --sysconfdir=DIR        read-only single-machine data in DIR [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR    modifiable architecture-independent data in DIR
                          [PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR     modifiable single-machine data in DIR [PREFIX/var]
  --libdir=DIR            object code libraries in DIR [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR        C header files in DIR [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR     C header files for non-gcc in DIR [/usr/include]
  --infodir=DIR           info documentation in DIR [PREFIX/info]
  --mandir=DIR            man documentation in DIR [PREFIX/man]
  --srcdir=DIR            find the sources in DIR [configure dir or ..]
  --program-prefix=PREFIX prepend PREFIX to installed program names
  --program-suffix=SUFFIX append SUFFIX to installed program names
  --program-transform-name=PROGRAM
                          run sed PROGRAM on installed program names

If you are using --prefix=/foo, all the files that your software installs will
be installed under /foo, which in most cases gives you the following
structure /foo/bin /foo/etc /foo/lib .............., so your php.ini will go
in /foo/lib/ if you don't change that with some of the options above. You can
also see the defaults (prefix=/usr/local for the example above). You must
also consider that these defaults might change with new versions, so you must
check what is changed in every new version or be on the safe side specifying
the options yourself and have it allways installed where and as you wish.

This is common for all software that comes with some kind of "configure"
script.

Momchil