mediawiki + nginx

Michael Shadle mike503 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 01:01:45 MSD 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Timothy Ball <timball at gmail.com> wrote:
> still sorta confused about running those two together. my end goal is
> to have simple urls like:
>
>   wiki.something.com/TheArticleThingie
>
> right now under my current configs i get urls that look like this:
>
>   wiki.something.com/index.php/TheArticleThingie
>
> which is *very close* but not quite.
>
> To prove that i've done my share of "just google it"
>
> i tried to cut&paste the configs from
> http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxMediaWiki and when i do an nginx -t it
> gives and error:

this is all i have:

        rewrite ^/wiki/([^?]*)(?:\?(.*))? /mediawiki/index.php?title=$1&$2 last;
        rewrite ^/wiki /mediawiki/index.php last;

of course, that assumes

a) mediawiki is installed in /mediawiki
b) your "public" prefix is /wiki

You want no /wiki in the mix, so I am not sure how that would work
exactly. I would think it might become a circular rewrite.

You could take out /wiki in my example and try it out.

try_files would be another one to try, but that won't work; mediawiki
wants the index.php?title= stuff in there.