worker_rlimit_nofile os vs. master vs. workers

Brad Wiemersl lists at ruby-forum.com
Sun Aug 16 18:20:58 MSD 2009

Doing some tuning, and want to make sure I understand what the effects
are of various parameters.  As I understand, this is how many open files
the os (linux) as a whole is currently set to handle.

cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max
169203

Then, there is a limit I am setting in the init script for nginx.  Let's
say this number is 20480.

ulimit -n 20480

Then, in the nginx config, we can set the number of workers and open
files for each worker process.  For example:

worker_processes  2;
worker_rlimit_nofile 10240;
..
..
worker_connections  10240;

My question is, does the 20480 limit set in the init script affect:

1. the TOTAL number of files that can be open by ALL workers
2. the number of files that can be open by EACH worker
3. something else I don't understand.

Thanks,
Brad