proxy_pass directive not being honored/incorrect proxy_pass being used

jdegra jdegra at learning.net
Sat Aug 29 00:10:19 MSD 2009

Background:
- 2 web servers behind load balancers; gentoo as OS but different "versions"
- server1 has gcc 3.3.5 server2 has gcc 4.1.1
- compile options --with-http_ssl_module --with-debug --user=daemon
--group=daemon
- apache 2.0.53 nginx-0.7.61 php-5.2.1
Setup:
- We were using apache to proxy to amazon cdn but it was getting too slow;
enter nginx
- nginx doesn't serve anything directly, it acts solely as a proxy to apache
and amazon
- we got it working but we want to redirect to apache everytime a php file
is requested
- config snippet:
  location ~* \.php$ {
            proxy_pass  http://apache;

            proxy_set_header   Host             $host;
            proxy_set_header   X-Real-IP        $remote_addr;
            proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-For  $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
            proxy_max_temp_file_size 0;

            client_max_body_size       100m;
            client_body_buffer_size    128k;

            proxy_connect_timeout      90;
            proxy_send_timeout         90;
            proxy_read_timeout         90;
            proxy_buffer_size          4k;
            proxy_buffers              4 32k;
            proxy_busy_buffers_size    64k;
            proxy_temp_file_write_size 64k;
        }

        location /amazonpath {
            rewrite            /amazonpath/(.*) /$1 break;
            proxy_set_header   Host             $host;
            proxy_set_header   X-Real-IP        $remote_addr;
            proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-For  $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
            proxy_pass         http://amazon.uri;
            proxy_redirect     off;
        }

    > however, it proxies to amazon even when we request a php file
- here is where it gets honky; server1 proxies to amazon but server2 proxies
to our apache as expected; so i thought it was libpcre, server2 had 6.6
while server1 had 5.5; we update libpcre on server1 to latest which is
7.9-r1, but same problem exists on server1;

- i re-compiled nginx --with-debug and got this on server1
[debug] 32319#0: *4588 test location: "amazonpath"
[debug] 32319#0: *4588 test location: ~ "\.php$"
[debug] 32319#0: *4588 using configuration "\.php$"
- so it goes to the right location directive but proxies to amazon instead
to our apache

anybody have any ideas ?