Nginx securiy problem

Jérôme Loyet jerome at loyet.net
Sat Dec 5 13:26:38 MSK 2009

2009/12/5 Michael Shadle <mike503 at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 1:54 AM, Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jbq at caraldi.com> wrote:
>
>> That sounds weird to me, rewriting Mailman in PHP.  Mailman is an
>> excellent piece of software.  If you need FastCGI support for Mailman,
>> why not hire a developer to implement that?  With the excellent python
>> flup library, this will not be a daunting task.
>
> mailman is a pain in the ass to install, it leaves files all over the
> system, it is remnant of early 1990's software - i.e. when it began.
>
> i am looking for a more modern approach, ala WordPress or Drupal;
> upload the files, run an installer, MySQL as a backend for the user
> list, configuration details, etc.
>
> not proprietary weird command line crap you have to run to update
> options and alter certain configuration items. totally web-based,
> besides for adding the /etc/aliases lines, that's all anyone has to
> do.
>
> while it has a long history of being the standard, the open source
> community usually has multiple forks and options out there for just
> about any type of software. oddly enough, mailman has no other options
> besides the few i was able to find after a lot of searching:
>
> - sympa - also a pita to administer, cgi-based

Sympa can run with fastcgi
(http://www.sympa.org/manual_6.1/web-interface?s[]=fastcgi) but yes
it's a huge complicated system which is more than harder to
administer. It's been made by some french searchers for universities
needs. It's used mainly by universities or ministries to handle huge
databases of mailing lists.

For having more than one instance in production I can tell how it's a
pain in the ass !