server_name "";

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Sat Dec 19 02:04:00 MSK 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 5:51 PM, Peter Leonov <gojpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19.12.2009, at 1:14, Sean Allen wrote:
>
>> we are running 0.7.64
>>
>> have this as a server:
>>
>> server
>> {
>>     server_name "";
>>
>>     location /
>>     {
>>         return 404;
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> when we try to startup we get:
>>
>>  [emerg]: the first server name must not be empty in
>> /ah/conf/nginx/default_server.conf:4
>>
>> wiki says:
>>
>> Since nginx 0.7.12, an empty server name is supported, to catch the
>> requests without "Host" header:
>>
>> server {
>>  server_name "";
>> }
>
> We use the underscore + listen default.
>
> server
> {
>        server_name _;
>        listen 80 default;
>        location / { return 404; }
> }

That works except, it is getting blocked by another and I'm not sure why.
I'm doing this on a local network right now and m.example.com is 192.16.8.1.125
if m.example.com is setup then this doesn't get used.

m.example.com has:

server
{
    listen m.example.com;
    server_name m.example.com;
}

So from the wiki,
if I do a request not to m.example.com but 192.168.1.125
shouldnt the listen 80 default server block be the one that handles
the response?