Load balancing question

nginx at uruz.org nginx at uruz.org
Sun Feb 1 02:05:31 MSK 2009

Hi everyone,

I'd like to know about the behavior the nginx does load balancing.

Let's say I have currently this situation

upstream phpfarm {

  server server1:8080 weight=10;
  server server2:8080 weight=10;
  server server3:8080 weight=10;

}

Does the nginx sequentially work down the list until it reaches the end
and starts again from the beginning? We had some not-so-round balancing
peaks with this where some host sometimes got noticeable more hits then
the others.

My idea is to make it more even doing it for example this way. Is there
something wrong with it?

upstream phpfarm {

  server server1:8080 weight=5;
  server server2:8080 weight=5;
  server server3:8080 weight=5;
  server server1:8080 weight=5;
  server server2:8080 weight=5;
  server server3:8080 weight=5;

}

I am currently testing it by myself. Any ideas, thoughts or experiences?

Best regards,

Emil Krueper