strange error: nginx does not flush the buffer back to the client

Peter Langhans peter.langhans at incipience.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 08:24:25 MSK 2009

Hi,

I'm completely new to nginx - I've just started using it a day ago, but I've
managed to set up a reverse proxy szenario with nginx as a front end and 3
apache servers (2.0.63) as the backend servers.

*The strange thing that is happening is: sometimes the pages are not
displayed to the user, but it just freezes, i.e. the page is not loading,
BUT when I kill the nginx process (the only connection to the outer world)
all files from the current request (that was hanging) are served
immediately. It seems like the buffer is not written to the open connection
and killing nginx causes nginx to release the connection and thus the data
on it?!?!

Can anyone help solving the Gordic know as per why the data is not send, but
the request hangs? Is nginx waiting for something before sending the request
out? If so why and more importantly: can I turn this behavior off? *

The apache servers are listening on the following addresses:

   - 192.168.0.1:80 -> web1
   - 192.168.0.2:80 -> web2
   - 192.168.0.3:80 -> web3

My public IP address is 69.64.147.249 and nginx is listening on web1 on port
80. I have to match 4 different domains to consider:

   - example.com
   - app.example.com
   - *.app.example.com (should be distributed between web1, web2, web3)
   - static.example.com (for static file serving)

I have defined 2 upstreams

   - proxy1.example.com: for dealing with requests to example.com and
   app.example.com on only web1
   - proxy2.example.com: for dealing with requests to *.example.com on web1,
   web2, web3

**
The described problem occurs in versions nginx-0.7.38 and nginx-0.6.35.

Thanks so much for your help!

Bests,
Peter

This is my configuration:

##########

user  nginx nginx;

worker_processes  1;

events {
    worker_connections  1024;
}

http {
    include                mime.types;
    default_type        text/plain;

    sendfile            on;

    keepalive_timeout    65;

    server_name_in_redirect off;

    gzip                on;
    gzip_min_length        1100;
    gzip_types            text/plain text/html text/css
application/x-javascript text/xml application/xml application/xml+rss
text/javascript image/x-icon image/png;

    upstream proxy1.example.com  {
        server 192.168.0.1:80;
    }

    upstream proxy2.example.com {
        server 192.168.0.1:80;
        server 192.168.0.2:80;
        server 192.168.0.3:80;
    }

    server {
        listen 69.64.147.249;
        server_name  www.example.com;
        rewrite ^(.*) http://example.com$1 permanent;
    }

    server {
        listen     69.64.147.249;
        server_name example.com app.example.com;;
        location / {
            access_log      off;
            proxy_pass http://proxy1.example.com;

            proxy_set_header               Host             $host;
            proxy_set_header               X-Real-IP        $remote_addr;
            proxy_set_header               X-Forwarded-For
$proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
            client_max_body_size        10m;
            client_body_buffer_size        128k;
            proxy_connect_timeout        90;
            proxy_send_timeout            90;
            proxy_read_timeout            90;
            proxy_buffer_size            4k;
            proxy_buffers                4 32k;
            proxy_busy_buffers_size        64k;
            proxy_temp_file_write_size     64k;

    server {
        listen     69.64.147.249;
        server_name *.app.example.com;
        location / {
            access_log      off;
            proxy_pass http://proxy2.example.com;

            gzip off;
            proxy_set_header               Host             $host;
            proxy_set_header               X-Real-IP        $remote_addr;
            proxy_set_header               X-Forwarded-For
$proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
            client_max_body_size        10m;
            client_body_buffer_size        128k;
            proxy_connect_timeout        90;
            proxy_send_timeout            90;
            proxy_read_timeout            90;

            proxy_buffering               on;
            proxy_buffer_size            4k;
            proxy_buffers                4 32k;
            proxy_busy_buffers_size        64k;
            proxy_temp_file_write_size     64k;

    server {
        listen          69.64.147.249;
        server_name     static.example.com;
        access_log      logs/access.www.example.com.log;

        # deny access to .htaccess files, if Apache's document root
        # concurs with nginx's one
        location ~ /\.ht {
            deny  all;