optimization guidelines...

Just Marc marc at corky.net
Wed Jan 14 22:03:29 MSK 2009

Most of the times a load increase on PHP nodes is a direct result of a
slow db, or certain slow db queries.  Turn on the slow query log on your
mysql box and eliminate any slow queries you see, especially ones that
show up often.  Turn on the mysql log which shows sql queries that don't
use indices and add the appropriate indices.

If you have PHP processes consistently having NOTICEABLE load and you've
made sure no db queries are slow try http://xdebug.org/  and it will
give you very useful information - although most of the time this is a
more advanced method for higher traffic / higher performance sites who
care deeply about how their scripts behave.

There are countless ways to monitor and keep track of important
performance metrics on your servers.   Most often it's useful to watch
more than a few parameters and regularly make sure that the are under
control.

Marc