Multiple access_log directives in different contexts

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sat Jan 17 20:04:37 MSK 2009

Hello!

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 05:11:32PM +0100, Sen Haerens wrote:

> I have a traffic log directive in my http block:
>
> http
> {
>   # Traffic log
>   log_format traffic $time_local | $server_name | $request_length |
> $bytes_sent;
>   access_log /var/log/nginx/traffic.log traffic;
> […]
> }
>
> This works just fine except for virtual hosts that have a custom
> access_log directive defined.
> Traffic is not showing for these domains.
>
> server
> {
>   access_log /var/www/example.com/data/logs/nginx.access.log;
>   error_log /var/www/example.com/data/logs/nginx.error.log error;
> […]
> }
>
> How can I use global traffic log and custom access log together?

There is no "global" logs in nginx, only "local" ones, either
explicitly defined or inhereted from previous level.

The access_log directive, as all array-type directives in nginx
config, will ignore inherited values if defined at certain level.
I.e. in configuration

http {
    access_log log1;

    server {
        server_name  server1;
    }

    server {
        server_name  server2;
        access_log   log2;

only server1 will have logging set to log1, while server2 will
have logging set to log2.  If you want server2 to write log into
both log1 and log2 you should say this explicitly, i.e.

    server {
        server_name  server2;
        access_log   log1;
        access_log   log2;

In you case you should explicitly add

    access_log ... traffic;

to all servers which define their own logging.