cookie injection / verification / redirect

Nick Pearson nick.pearson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 08:01:54 MSK 2009

I haven't tested this myself, but I believe it should do what you want.

if ($http_cookie !~ 'my_cookie=some_value') {
    add_header  Cookie  'my_cookie=some_value';
    rewrite  (.*)  $1  last;
    break;
}
# statements hereafter will only be reached if the cookie is properly set

I'm not sure the 'break' is necessary since the previous statement ends with
'last', but I see it in examples quite a bit.

Be mindful that this will cause an infinite loop (and an eventual
client-side error message) for browsers with cookie support turned off.  It
might be better to redirect users to something like /cookie_added, then when
a request comes in for /cookie_added, rewrite the request internally to
remove /cookie_added from the URI and process as normal.  You could even
check the URI, and if it is for /cookie_added but the cookie is not set, you
could show a friendly warning message instructing the user that cookies are
required for your site.

Hope that helps.

Nick