0.7.61: error_page 404 woes

Toni Mueller support at oeko.net
Mon Jul 13 22:48:29 MSD 2009

Hi,

On Mon, 13.07.2009 at 22:22:25 +0400, Igor Sysoev <is at rambler-co.ru> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 07:04:09PM +0200, Toni Mueller wrote:
> > error_page	404	/;
> >
> > But this statement had no effect. I had to re-write the statement as
> >
> > error_page	404	http://$server_name/;
> >
> > to get the desired effect, but don't quite understand, why.
>
> Because the first statement does an internal redirect to /,
> while the second one does an external redirect (302).

thanks for the quick answer, but I don't quite understand:

I already assumed that the second would cause an external redirect, but
why the first statement would not lead to an internal rewrite of the
URI and then try that through the remainder of the configuration, I
don't see.

I mean, the documentation suggests that "error_page 404 /somepage.html"
should work, and I don't see that much of a difference.

Kind regards,
--Toni++