auth_basic password problems

nginx at tomvalentine.net nginx at tomvalentine.net
Wed Jul 15 01:47:04 MSD 2009

Hi

The authentication on windows now seems to work, to an extent. No more
500 errors! --> thanks!

However, I can not seem to get it to recognise the password supplied by
the user unless the user supplies the hashed password.

The attached htpasswd file was created by htpasswd in Linux (htpasswd in
Windows doesn't do crypt); and nginx 0.6.32 running in Linux has no
problems with it. But nginx 0.8.5 in Vista wont accept 'password' as the
password, it will only accept 'xGtGE5iXWkYCI'

E.g.
   htpasswd -db /var/www/.htpasswd nginx2 password
produced
   nginx2:xGtGE5iXWkYCI
and nginx accepts not 'password' but 'xGtGE5iXWkYCI' in Windows.

Sorry, couldn't be bothered compiling nginx for Linux (I need sleep now)
to see if it was Windows specific or version specific.

Any ideas?
Tom