New SSL features for Nginx.

Brice Figureau brice+nginx at daysofwonder.com
Tue Jul 21 22:02:05 MSD 2009

Hi,

For Puppet[1] Nginx deployement (that is using Nginx as a front-end
load-balancers to puppetmasters[2]), I had to create the following two
patches, to match Apache behaviour:

  * The first patch allows:
   + a new variant of ssl_client_verify: optional. In this mode, if the
client sends a certificate it is verified, but if the client doesn't
send a certificate, the connection is authorized too.

   + a new variable: $ssl_client_verify which contains, either NONE,
SUCCESS or FAILURE depending on the verification status. It can be used
to send information to the upstream about the client verification.

  * The second patch adds CRL support to the client certificate
verification:

   ssl_crl /path/to/crl.pem;

  Nginx then verifies the client certificate hasn't been revoked in the
given CRL before allowing the connection to proceed.

For access to the patches, please see my last blog article:
http://www.masterzen.fr/2009/07/21/new-ssl-features-for-nginx/

It would be great if those patches could be merged in the official Nginx
source tree.

Thanks,

[1]: http://reductivelabs.com/products/puppet/
[2]: http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/UsingMongrelNginx