Rewrite: fixing Metadot Kluginess

Paul Hamann lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Jul 23 06:10:48 MSD 2009

Greetings.  I'm implementing portal software called Metadot.  It was
orginally Perl -- ported to Rails about 1 yr ago.  There's a bunch of
Perl-isms and silliness that makes it somewhat dependent on Apache2 /
fcgi.

I'm trying to use Nginx to proxy/balance dynamic requests to multiple
Apache2/Passenger servers.  I want Nginx to serve up all static content
so that Aapche2 can serve just rails.  They put attachments and images
in a separate directory outside the rails root.  Then they pre-pended
the filename with 8 digits made up of zeros and the file's id.  I want
to rewrite specific file formats to their actual filenames and dirs.

Example for user uploaded images. {png | ico | jpg | gif | etc.....}

request comes in as: /__metadot__/image_library/image.gif

maps to: ../../metadot-on-rails-attachments/00000001/00000022-image.gif

22 is the file id and image.gif is the [already unique] filename.
metadot-on-rails-attachments is at the same level as the rails root, not
inside it.

Please help! I've been lost on this all day.

Thanks! Paul