server side include, UTF-8 problem

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Thu Jul 23 23:38:33 MSD 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 21:14 +0200, Marcin Operacz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have some problems with server side including of UTF-8 files, can
> you please confirm that this is impossible to make nginx include UTF-8
> text files (the ones that have 'ef bb bf' on the first 3 chars of the
> file)?

Just for clarification, that's known as a BOM (byte order mark).   It's
(sometimes) allowed but definitely not needed for UTF-8, and as noted
below, can cause issues for some software:

http://unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#bom5

>  If this is possible please give me some advice on what should I
> look to make this work.

No idea if it is expected to work in Nginx or not.  Perhaps the easiest
solution would be to edit the files in something that doesn't generate
the BOM.

Regards,
Cliff

--