Content negotiation?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Jul 29 15:02:07 MSD 2009

Hello!

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 05:16:11AM -0300, Juan Fco. Giordana wrote:

> Igor Sysoev wrote:
>> The question is how many people set (or have by default) right language
>> in browsers ?
>
> The download page of Opera, Firefox or IE provide you with the localized
> version of the program by default, at least that works from Argentina.
> So I assume most people have it but they don't know that it is there
> anyway.
>
> I've learned to have all my programs in English and that part of content
> negotiation is a pain for me.
>
> Also, the flash player plug-in download page offers a localized version
> of the binary based on the IP geographic location).

The most funny use of Accept-Language based content negotiation
I've seen on dsbl.org.  Since they have no version in Russian they
returned default "300 Multiple Choices" page, effectively blocking
localized IEs unless user is smart enough to change
Accept-Language in settings.

Since then I personally think that content negotiation is
something that should be considered as access check.  And since
nginx already has pretty good access module - it's not really
needed. :)

[sarcasm mode off]

It should be relatively simple to write module with such
capabilities.  And I believe somebody already did this, at least
something with name "Accept Language Module" is listed on
wiki.nginx.org:

http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxAcceptLanguageModule