How to disable chunked transfer-encoding

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Thu Jun 4 20:58:05 MSD 2009

Hello!

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:23:54AM +0800, Zhang,Tony wrote:

> Hi
>
> I found that Nginx set chunked transfer-encoding as default, so how can I disable this transfer-encoding, because I am serving static content. And by the way, is it a little bit harmful to use chunked transfer encoding on serving static content?

Support for chunked encoding is required for HTTP/1.1 clients,
and nginx doesn't use it for HTTP/1.0 clients (as required by RFC
2616 too), so it should be safe.

But the question is - why chunked used in your case.  It's not
used by nginx for static content with known length.  Possible
reasons include SSI processing truned on and/or gzip enabled
(since resulting length of the response isn't known while sending
headers, and chunked transfer encoding is the only way to keep
connections alive in this case).