Problem with inheriting fastcgi params

Michael Shadle mike503 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 00:49:35 MSD 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:36:36PM -0700, Michael Shadle wrote:
>
>> I have my normal fastcgi params in my main nginx.conf file, under server {}
>>
>> i.e.:
>>
>> fastcgi_param QUERY_STRING $query_string;
>> fastcgi_param REQUEST_METHOD $request_method;
>> fastcgi_param CONTENT_TYPE $content_type;
>> fastcgi_param CONTENT_LENGTH $content_length;
>> fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
>> fastcgi_param SCRIPT_NAME $fastcgi_script_name;
>> fastcgi_param REQUEST_URI $request_uri;
>> fastcgi_param DOCUMENT_URI $document_uri;
>> fastcgi_param DOCUMENT_ROOT $document_root;
>> fastcgi_param SERVER_PROTOCOL $server_protocol;
>> fastcgi_param GATEWAY_INTERFACE CGI/1.1;
>> fastcgi_param SERVER_SOFTWARE nginx/$nginx_version;
>> fastcgi_param REMOTE_ADDR $remote_addr;
>> fastcgi_param REMOTE_PORT $remote_port;
>> fastcgi_param SERVER_ADDR $server_addr;
>> fastcgi_param SERVER_PORT $server_port;
>> fastcgi_param SERVER_NAME $http_host;
>> fastcgi_ignore_client_abort on;
>> fastcgi_buffers 32 8k;
>> fastcgi_index index.php;
>>

>> The problem is, whenever I want to add a variable (maybe override too,
>> I forget) it seems to clear all the other ones out:
>>
>>                location ~ \.php$ {
>>                         fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:11003;
>>                         fastcgi_param HTTPS on;
>>                 }
>>
>> Now, only fastcgi_param HTTPS is set. no more SCRIPT_FILENAME so it's broken.
>
> It's expected and documented behaviour.  All array-type settings
> behave like this: they are inherited from upper levels only if
> none defined at this particular level.

So instead of appending the array (or replacing an existing index) I
am essentially resetting the array completely?

Is there a usage model where it makes sense that this should be a
supported behavior? Logically it seems like it should be supported,
but I guess under the hood it's a one line change or a very major
change.