nginx rewrite help

Kevin Castiglione kevincastiglione at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 19:10:27 MSD 2009

2009/6/18 Igor Sysoev <is at rambler-co.ru>

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 07:44:55AM -0700, Kevin Castiglione wrote:

> where

> be
> be
> > > application

> > > Then
> > >
> > >   location / {
> > >       fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME
> > >                      /path/to/scripts/$host$fastcgi_script_name;
> > >    }
> > >
> > igor:
> > does this mean the backend fastcgi processes have to be in the same
> machine?
> > i have my backends running on different machine like this
>
> No, this path
>        /path/to/scripts/$host$fastcgi_script_name;
> may be on any host.
>
> In your case you need probably this:
>
>      fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME /$host$fastcgi_script_name;

so with this i dont need to write any rewrite rule?

also instead of $host, if i want to use domain or subdomain can you tell how
i can extract: [aa.bb.com]
-> domain - bb.com
-> subdomain - aa

> Also, this
>
>       if ($http_x_forwarded_for ~ "(?:^|,)\s*(\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)\s*$") {
>           set  $addr  $1;
>       }
>
>        fastcgi_param REMOTE_ADDR     $addr;
>
> means that anyone may forge his address.

without this my web app gets client ip address as the ip address of the
machine running nginx and not the actual client.