gzip_disable and vary header

Johan Bergström johan at bergstroem.nu
Thu Jun 25 15:33:25 MSD 2009

Hello,

On Apr 2, 2009, at 15:48 , Spil Games wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A while ago we were having some troubles with gzip and old IE6. I then
> found this blog entry which seemed to solve my troubles:
>
> http://robsanheim.com/2008/02/07/beware-the-default-nginx-config-old-ie6-hates-gzip/
>

> However immediately after applying this fix to our Nginx config
> files I
> realised that there was still something wrong. If gzip_disable acts on
> the User-Agent to enable/disable compression, shouldn't gzip_vary
> act on
> this too? In other words shouldn't it send this header?:
>
> Vary: Accept-Encoding, User-Agent

I've found yet another resource that indicate that the current
behavior of nginx is incorrect: http://redbot.org/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fnginx.net

I can't find what SPEC it is relying on, but as far as other
discussions on The Internets go, I think that Accept-encoding is
indeed required.

> Attached patch modifies Nginx 0.6 to send above header when both
> gzip_vary and gzip_disable are being used. It reverts back to the old
> behaviour of sending only Accept-Encoding in the Vary header if
> gzip_disable is not in use.
>
> Feedback appreciated.

I can confirm that this works as intended. I've attached a patch
against nginx 0.8.4 which is based on the earlier patch.

> Regards,
>
> Matthijs van der Klip
>
> Attachments:
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/3541/nginx-0.6.35-gzip_vary.patch