macro functionality

merlin corey merlincorey at dc949.org
Sat Jun 27 11:59:52 MSD 2009

I am suggesting that dynamic configuration is more complicated than
the fully specified, verbose, redundant configuration - as well as
less efficient.

Also, I do not want to see a half-baked macro language in nginx's
configuration language.  What you think of as macros is not what I
think of as macros (as a lisp programmer), and it sounds more like you
just want functions that output configuration snippets.

I am suggesting that since this is not in NginX's configuration
language you can easily make use of existing programming and scripting
languages to generate your configurations as needed.  It simply adds
another step before rehashing/starting which can easily be wrapped
into a makefile or init script so it is still one command.  Also, it
gives you the power, comfort, and familiarity of your language of
choice, rather than some new, embedded language in NginX that we all
have to learn and test.

Adding these kinds of constructs implicates some kind of extra
resources being used, and don't we want our nginx's to be as
lightweight as possible?

Just some thoughts :)

-- Merlin