fcgiwrap upstream errors

Chris Cortese cortese.consulting at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 01:47:57 MSK 2009

I'll try the newer fcgiwrap when I get back home in a couple hours.  For
now, in case this is helpful info:

I'm getting a 403 Forbidden on the stdout of the terminal where I ran
the fcgiwrap.  At the same time I get

*11 upstream closed prematurely FastCGI stdout while reading response
header from upstream, client: my.ip.address, server: my_server, request:
"GET /cgi-bin/test.pl HTTP/1.1", upstream:
"fastcgi://unix:/tmp/cgi.sock:", host: "my_server:my_port"

in the nginx error log

and 502 Bad Gateway in the browser.

I have chmod 755 test.pl.  I took test.pl from the net somewhere.  It is
just:

#!/usr/bin/perl
print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
print "Hello, World!\n";

The relevant parts of my nginx config are:
in my_virtual_host.conf:

  location /cgi-bin/ {
    fastcgi_pass unix:/tmp/cgi.sock;
    include /etc/nginx/perl_fcgiwrap_params;
  }

in perl_fcgiwrap_params:  **note** I've tried a hundred different
variations on this but this is the current one:

        gzip off; #gzip makes scripts feel slower since they have to
complete before getting gzipped
        fastcgi_param QUERY_STRING     $query_string;
        fastcgi_param REQUEST_METHOD   $request_method;
        fastcgi_param CONTENT_TYPE     $content_type;
        fastcgi_param CONTENT_LENGTH   $content_length;
        fastcgi_param GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1;
        fastcgi_param SERVER_SOFTWARE    nginx;
#        fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME
$document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
        fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME
/home/my_linux_user/www/dev/mysite/trunk/cgi-bin$fastcgi_script_name;
        fastcgi_param SCRIPT_NAME
/home/my_linux_user/www/dev/mysite/trunk/cgi-bin$fastcgi_script_name;
        fastcgi_param REQUEST_URI        $request_uri;
        fastcgi_param DOCUMENT_URI       $document_uri;
        fastcgi_param DOCUMENT_ROOT      $document_root;
        fastcgi_param SERVER_PROTOCOL    $server_protocol;
        fastcgi_param REMOTE_ADDR        $remote_addr;
        fastcgi_param REMOTE_PORT        $remote_port;
        fastcgi_param SERVER_ADDR        $server_addr;
        fastcgi_param SERVER_PORT        $server_port;
        fastcgi_param SERVER_NAME        $server_name;

... and just to reiterate, everything else on my site is working great,
php, rewrites, everything else working as far as I can tell.

Thanks,
Chris