FCGI.pm ?

Roger Hoover roger.hoover at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 00:45:27 MSK 2009

Supervisord can do all this and more.  It's a full service process manager
that can manage daemons in any language, including pools of FastCGI
processes.

http://supervisord.org/

It has an XML-RPC interface and cmd line tool (supervisorctl) so you can
send commands to the process manager as it's running (for example, starting
and stopping a given process or process pool).  It even has a
language-agnostic event listening API so that you can monitor process
manager events and take your own custom actions (such as sending yourselves
alerts if a process dies).

Here's a sample config for managing a pool of 5 foo.pl processes and 2
bar.pl processes.

  [fcgi-program:foo]
        socket=tcp://127.0.0.1:4000
        process_name = %(program_name)s_%(process_num)s
        command = /path/to/foo.pl
        numprocs = 5

  [fcgi-program:bar]
        socket=unix:///path/to/fcgi/socket
        process_name = %(program_name)s_%(process_num)s
        command = /path/to/bar.pl
        numprocs = 2

The FCGI spawning has not been officially released but it's well unit tested
in the SVN repo.  Just run easy_install
http://svn.supervisord.org/supervisor/trunk/